Cleaner Air

I’ve been soldering more things, and with soldering comes fumes that you don’t want to breathe in.

So, after a couple of hours in CAD, sixty hours of printing, 3.75kWh of electricity, and a few minutes of assembly, I have this beast.

Inside is a 140mm fan, so it’s nice and quiet, and 130mm replacement charcoal filters for a commercially available fume extractor. The filters friction fit in front of the fan, so it’s easily changeable. I have a 12V wall wart power supply and a switch on the back.

I’ve got a project in the works for my side hustle, with the parts coming this weekend, so this is just in time.

Parts

Model on Thingiverse

An update on a bad print

Previously I posted the corner clip. After that post, I went at it with a knife. Unfortunately, it ended up splitting along a layer line. But actually, it was fortunate. I was able to clean up the spinning insert, and using some CA glue, fix where I split the layers. I used it in building the frame for the enclosure and it worked perfectly.

Continual improvement.

Take a picture of a thing being made

There are downsides of having a 3D Printer on the workbench in a “woodshop.” One of them is losing a workbench. The other one is dust. Dust, everywhere.

Ever had a shop so messy you don’t want to take any pictures of it? Here, have a Fusion rendering instead.

Deciding to solve these problems at the same time, I built an enclosure for the printer. It is super simple, cobbled together with pocket holes. The walls are acrylic I found at Lowe’s, with some cheap hardware for the door. Currently, all of the electronics are still inside, something I plan on changing. I want to move the control panel outside of the cabinet for convenience, as well as create an interface panel for OctoPrint to control manual XYZ movements. And a big red button for stopping jobs. Everyone needs a big red button.

Speaking of OctoPrint, not being on the workbench means I need a new place for the camera, as well as some lighting. To provide the lighting, I bought some cheap LED strips on Amazon which I’ll affix to the inside of the cabinet. I found an old computer fan. after fitting with an air filter I want to use it to create some positive pressure to keep the dust at bay.

With the lights and OctoPrint, I obviously need a camera too. I had a Pi camera from another project which I decided to use instead of the Logitech camera I was using previously. But, with a Pi camera, you need a way to hold it up.

This is the best part of the project for me I think. I found a model of the camera PCB on GrabCAD and it was perfect. I was able to import it into Fusion and design a mount around it perfectly. On the first print, I got a perfect articulating joint and bracket and a perfect fit around the camera. Maybe I’m getting the hang of this. My only regret is that I built it at 0°, but it is one part to reprint to adjust the angle.

I posted the camera mount on Thingiverse.